Inside a house inside a small green square inside
great black seas inside these longitudes,
a slim gold watch on a bench, ticking.
You’re going through the rooms writing
lists of things to do, hoovering, scrubbing, cooking
potatoes for Daddy when he comes home
wondering when it ends, wondering when
she’ll knead the dough again, wondering
how to scrub the stove-soot she would scrub,
wondering when the plants are watered,
how to mend his shirts, wondering if she’ll step
through her scrawl. I’m sitting here inside
winter woods inside brown valleys inside
evening, wondering when the turn
from indigo to morning white
will come, wondering when these gilt
skeletons against the sky will leaf again.
i smile....:-)
ReplyDeleteI love the rhythm of this poem... it's peaceful somehow. And the image it makes in my mind is so beautiful. Now I'm going to read it again. :) :)
ReplyDeleteHooray, a poem! It's fascinating - so compact and precise and orderly and quiet, rather like that "slim gold watch" in the third line. Watch out, I'm going to bug you with questions about what it all means (I'm developing a theory). Hope that you enjoyed crafting the poem as much as we all are enjoying reading it! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSkeletons against the sky... lovely imagery.
ReplyDelete