As far as "Hastings", Rachel S. is dead-on! Bravo, and everyone go read her comment. :o)
"Stonington" is about elves. Well, not exactly. I wrote it more for fun than for anything else, and then when Dr. J commented on it, I decided he had it figured out fairly well. As a side note, it's pretty humorous sometimes to read the professors' comments on my work. I don't mean that disrespectfully. Occasionally they just "don't get it" (like with "Hastings"), but sometimes they find that the poem makes more sense than I ever thought it could. So "Stonington" is based on one of Fanny Howe's "essays" (*hem*). It's written in the voice of a son running to his mother and begging her to leave her writing and come outside to see the Elves. It's meant sort of to be about creativity--how creativity is hard to hold onto (the Elves are leaving quickly) and how it's too easy for creative people to get stuck in a rut (the mother is poised at her desk). So that poem isn't as grand in its meaning as "Hastings", I guess.
"Tulips" is about resurrection--at first, despair, seeking in all the wrong places for hope, and clinging desperately to the wrong kinds of hope. Then realizing that hope isn't in all the things we seek after but in the promises that God has given of rebirth, as portrayed in Creation. Towards the end there's language that I meant to echo the New Testament, about seeds being sown in dishonor and raised in glory.
Frodo,
ReplyDeleteThe reference to the flashlight under the blankets sounds oh so familiar! I really appreciate your explanations.
Do you remember how Stupendous Dude and I planted the crocus bulbs which were dug up and eaten by the squirrels? At least we got to see them bloom once. The tulips Laura and I planted only came up once, too. I wonder if they were eaten by squirrels. Of course, I could blame the squirrels for all my woes...I'm sure they must have something to do with the sewer baking up while Aunt Helen was here, for example!
By the way, we caught another squirrel yesterday. I took care of him...heh, heh, heh, (evil look in her eye...).
-Arwen