21 March 2006

a picture

Now Playing: Liszt's 30th Transcendental Etude--in my head. Syneva just finished her junior piano recital, and she played this piece. It was my favorite. Rocking, bold, noble chords.


Isn't she pretty?

















Here's something I wrote. This scrap of verse was written for the First Seminar class. One of the only things (well, there are more things that I like than just this) I like about the class is the fact that the professor accepts poetry for paper assignments. This particular bit was written when we were assigned to describe a "creative encounter" (whatever that means). It made me think of the constant barrier between the original inspiration and the actual product. No matter how hard you try, you often can't get words to capture exactly the ideas you want them to.


Chasing the Light
a creative encounter

Thudding on the screen through the May night,
One moth and half-a-dozen junebugs buzz,
Drawn to my desk light. I’m trying to write:
About Danielle, how we went swimming, shrugged
Cool water down tanned arms; how we chased links
Of tawny sunset, flared, aquamarine—
Borealis on concrete. Fan whirs. I blink.
Junebugs still rattle on the thrumming screen.
Remember: how the chlorine tasted, how
The water hit my forehead when we dove,
Hunting reflections of sun’s lyre. Light bowed
Across, ahead, but not beneath. A drove
Of junebugs still gropes for my nightlight’s glow,
While I bang meter, try to grasp light’s throe.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:01 PM

    Frodo,

    Yes, she is pretty. Always thought so.

    How did you use this bit of poetry? Did you turn it in just like this or was there more to your product for the prof?

    The poetry here certainly does capture the yearning for expressions of beauty I think you must experience. The juxtaposition of the apparent foolishness of insects dashing their brains out with the elegance of graceful movement in water is quite effective.

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was interesting, I enjoyed reading through it. I have mental blocks all the time when trying to write a paper, or a programming assignment, or something along those lines. Yet when trying to write upon a biblical subject on a forum or through e-mail, that problem doesn't seem to arise. Lately I've been just staring off into space for some reason and need to shake myself back to reality. It's not like I'm really day-dreaming, it's just as though there is nobody home for the moment. Glazed after spending 7 and a half hours on a computer working on the Digital assignment perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem. I see what you mean about the difficulty in communicating that creative encounter--your topic is highly unique. However, about three lines into it I knew EXACTLY what it was about! I can just feel it.

    Pretty. Indeed! That was taken on our last day of good weather. Apparently, it's decided to take a turn for the worst. That's haywired OK for you, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:34 AM

    who'd you say this funy pictrue is? someone i likly dont know and nevr wil, you say?

    and how long did it take you to compose this? it would hav taken a long time to write something anywere near that length and i probly wouldnt hav evn thought of that subject. i geus i dont hav wat it taks for that sort of writing. oops. mom wants me to hury up.

    ReplyDelete