Now Playing: "Fifteen Variants on Dives and Lazarus", by Ralph Vaughan-Williams. (Also known as Psalm 22C.)
Here's a poem that you all may be able to help me with. It seems to be missing something to me, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.
Note: The dashes on the last two lines are put in to make those two lines stand out instead of being "justified" with the rest of the poem since I can't get this ridiculous publishing format to accept the "tab" command.
Crucifixion
I cannot see his face. His head is flung
Against the sun, and shimmers in the heat—
Bronze heaven glaring down on molten earth
And metal men, their shining faces slashed.
His hands clench as his legs tense helplessly—
Push up, a gasp of bloody air, then hang,
His chest bowed outward from the splintering wood,
So sun shines resolutely on whipped back,
On writhing fingers, thorn-crowned head. “My God,
My God, why have you cast me off?” his voice
Breaks thirstily. Blood seeps from cracking veins,
A thousand needles pricking out my sins—
His flesh inscribed with quivering miniscule.
I’m kneeling suddenly. A Roman foot
Kicks Mary, his mother, toward me, and
Her tears stain my shoulder.
Bruise my heels as I cradle Mary’s weight.
Crowds jostle past. A Jew with hanging locks
Laughs, “Look! He saved others, but cannot save
Himself!” His two sons snicker. Their fringed robes
Are hitched above defiled dust. Dust coats
My toes, my hands as they strut past their king,
Their king upon the cross. He coughs, he breathes,
“Father forgive,” through gall-and-wine blanched lips.
“Oh Magdalene—my son, my son,” sobs Mary.
John rests his hands on her shoulders. “The ground
Is shaking!” gasps Salome. Rocks slither past.
A blinding instant—I see crosses tip
And quiver, then the sun is dark. Half-heard,
I hear him sigh, “It is finished.”
------------------------------The earth shakes,
And soldiers curse.
------------------------------Hours later, evening sun
Casts wavering crosses on the bloody rocks,
Three shadows swimming through bronze air. He hangs
Limply, head lolling to stained chest, hands stiff—
I seem to hear again, “My God! My God….”
that is a good poem... an editorial note, when John says "the ground
ReplyDeleteIs shaking, you have "Joses gasps" I think you meant Jesus, but just wanted to point it out.
It is good to see ourselves at the cross, because it is our sins which placed Him there. In a very real sense, we crucified Him.
I can't think of something that is missing, but if I do, I'll comment again.
F.B.,
ReplyDeleteA moving poem, my dear.
-Arwen
Thanks, Missy. I've edited it.
ReplyDeleteWell, there really isn't a "tab command" but you should be able to go to the little "edit html" tab when you are putting in the text for posting, and put the letters:
ReplyDeletenbsp
preceeded by
&
and followed by
;
This means a non-blanking space. You may have to put multiple ones in to get it over further. It just puts a space into the text, before whatever line you want to indent.
I'm not the one to ask about poetry, it sounds good to me, the only thing I'd say it is missing is Sunday Morning following it! Are you planning on creating a trio?
Thank you for sharing.