(This was supposed to be published on Tuesday, December 6th, but my blog seems to be having difficulties with publishing.)
Now Playing: The "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" soundtrack by
Yesterday I spent all morning studying impatiently for my Pocahontas class final exam. The exam was at 11:00 a.m. It was an in-class essay. I think I did alright, though none of my ideas were very original, and I'm a little bit worried that she'll count off for that. But if I were to put down any of my "original" ideas, and tell her exactly what I thought about the text, she'd probably just get mad, and that wouldn't accomplish anything. So I just wrote a bland essay analyzing the text and trying not to put any opinion into it whatsoever, which was very boring.
In the afternoon, I met with Dr. G about my Honors paper. We sat and discussed Plato's "Symposium" for quite awhile. It was very interesting--in fact, it led to a "lightbulb" moment later. You see, after our discussion, I walked over to the library and sat in the student study for awhile, scribbling notes all over the margins of my essay. Chequered afternoon sunshine slanted through the windows and warmed my chapped hands. I stared out the window at the blank, white sky beyond the ripply glass, like looking down a road through a mirage. And I realized something: Plato's ideas in the "Symposium" get so very, very close to Christianity that it's almost painful. And that's all I shall say here (*hem* you'll have to go to my other blog to get the full philosophical diatribe).
Rachel, Matt, James, Emily, and I ate supper together. Emily is studying to be a mechanical engineer. James is a softspoken boy from
After supper, Rachel and I got into a heated discussion of Plato. We were standing outside, and I began to shiver so hard that my voice shook, so I suggested that we go indoors. We sat upstairs in my room and talked and talked, about Narnia and Plato and other things. We watched the big Narnia trailer together. It's going to be another week at least until either one of us sees it, which is rather a sad thought. After watching it, we were both quite enthusiastic, despite some of the changes they've made. The change that irks me the most is only a tiny one, but very noticeable: Aslan snarls at the Witch's creatures as he walks up the hill to the stone table. Now, this would be excusable were it not for the fact that Aslan is such an obvious picture of Christ. Christ went "like a lamb to the slaughter; He opened not His mouth". To have an Aslan that snarls puts a stain on the picture of Christ as the humble, innocent sacrifice, willingly offering Himself without a hint of anger or desire for revenge.
Last night I went to bed early, and this morning I woke up late (in other words, eight o'clock). I've spent all morning in a state of scatter-brain-ed-ness: editing my Honors paper to reflect my "lightbulb" moment (without explicitly stating anything about Christianity--*growl*), sending e-mails to various advisors to change course sections, looking up textbooks for next semester on the web, and fiddling with my template (with the patient help of the Shadow). And, yes, that lovely image you now see at the top of the page (which, in fact, reminds me of Elves--there's another version of it that looks like Gondor's White Tree in bloom) is courtesy of the Shadow himself.
Tonight there's an RUF formal--games, dancing, and dessert, or so I've heard. Syneva, hopefully, will teach us how to do contradancing and other plain dances, like the Virginia Reel, which is always fun (though I can't imagine trying to do that one in a long skirt!). And this afternoon I'm supposed to meet with Dr. S about my British Writers paper. And of course, I've got pages and pages of things to memorize for my final exams this Thursday and Friday, and next Thursday, though I think I have the material for British Writers under control.
Well, this is enough. Whenever I get in one of these brisk moods, my fingers refuse to stop dancing over the keyboard, and I've taken up too much space already.
And that's all I shall say here (*hem* you'll have to go to my other blog to get the full philosophical diatribe). Ha! Good way to get in an advertisement. I had noticed that traffic wasn't taking the route to the other blog very much....
ReplyDeleteHmm, I hadn't seen that trailer with Aslan snarling (I'll look it up this afternoon) but I agree that it's a slight disappointment. In the book I recall it to be very striking (as it was of the One he was representing) that he was just sad the entire time, the creatures went fearfully up to him but when they saw he didn't make a noise or resist, the bound him cruelly and taunted him, and all through it he was silent and just oh so very sad! That is probably one of the only parts in any book I've read that actually make me choke up. That and what happens afterward when the dawn comes. Wow.
As for the White tree of Gondor, that was kind of what I had in mind when I first had a "lightbulb moment" for that sort of thing. But I couldn't find any decent pictures so I went with a couple of drawings.
I know what you mean about starting to type and then not being able to stop. Ever since I was very young I hated to write, as with a pen. But when I get on a keyboard for some reason it's completely different and I have a hard time stopping (or hadn't anyone noticed?)
Shadow, I have a very hard time not using your real name.
ReplyDeleteI tend to write more freely on paper, but perhaps I type more (in volume) at a keyboard. It's so easy, but it doesn't require any brain at all. That disturbs me.
Yes, and I didn't appreciate the epic battle sequence footage, either. Sure, the BBC films underplayed the battle scenes. But this is so overplayed! And the White Witch doesn't look like a White Witch any more then, either... (How is her white robe supposed to flail around her in a grotesque fashion as she falls from the rock, if she's not wearing white? I have serious issues with that one.)
I don't visit the other blog as much, because it hasn't made it into my links. I'll fix that someday, I hope...
Typing on a keyboard doesn't take any brain at all (you say) and I like it much better..... Hmmm..... are you insinuating something? :)
ReplyDeleteI have a problem with Writer's Block when it comes to holding a pen and going at it, yet at my computer the words will just flow. I've written some decent papers, I don't confine myself to strictly blogging posts ;)
In fact, just the other day I was browsing through some of my old files and came across an old story I'd written to a younger lady about myself, as The Shadow. Perhaps I'll share it sometime, it's quite er.... dramatic. She enjoyed it though :)
Huh?
ReplyDeleteShadow, after I re-read my comment, I realized my underhanded insinuations. Rest assured, they are completely unfounded and unintentional. I'm merely saying there's a more difficult process involved with moving a pencil across paper, receiving multi-sensory input (eyes read the words slowly, ears hear the scratching pencil and the words forming and re-forming in the head, fingers grip pencil and shape every letter) as you go along, taking a longer amount of time... Some people find it a block, some find it necessary. Either way, it requires a more integral concensus of the brain, which I, as a girl with a hyperactive corpus callosum find comforting. (Also--I was so verbal so early, I suppose my channels became hardwired before I knew what a keyboard was. :P)
ReplyDeleteBut it's so different for other people. I'm writing an essay with a young man in my Latin class, who says his handwriting is too slow to communicate the words to paper. He types all the time, too.
It's late, which explains why I'm still here talking. If this were a piece of notebook paper, I'd have stopped by now. The problem is, typing... (requires no brains.) And now I'm back where I started. Ain't that just great?
G'night.
~AL~
...I love the Virginia Reel...and square dancing is really fun too...have fun! I can't wait to see Narnia...it'll be Monday for me to see it! I can't wait to see it..oh...I already said that...sorry...
ReplyDelete