Well, it's nearly eleven o'clock and I'm exhausted. But someone either next door (A.C.) or downstairs is watching an action movie, and it's really loud. People keep screaming, and there are lots of explosions, howls, screams, etc. Also plenty of raunchy laughter.
Last week was fairly good, actually. Perhaps that was just because I got to go off campus a couple of times, and that's always a big treat. On Wednesday night, the girls in my Bible study went over to the house of two brothers, Matt and Andrew, who are also in RUF. The mother of these brothers lives in a nice neighborhood in an older, nicer part of Tulsa-- elegant houses, like Victorian women in satin ball dresses. The brothers are leaders of the freshman boys' Bible study, and the two studies (freshman girls' and freshman boys') combined to do supper together. The boys cooked supper, and the girls brought dessert. Matt and Andrew and their mother have three cats: a medium-sized, elderly black-and-white cat; a fat brown-and-white cat with sides as shiny as polished tortoise shell (he was frightened of all the people), and a little, fuzzy grey cat who draped herself over the luxurious sofa in the front room and purred appreciatively whenever anyone rubbed her stomach or her ears.
Thursday night, I was up until two o'clock discussing the Gospel with A.C. By the end I was swaying with weariness. I showed her the parable of Dives and Lazarus in Luke 16, and she read carefully for quite awhile. This was at the end of our discussion, and she finally handed the Bible back to me, saying that she needed to go to bed, thus ending our talk. Syneva told me when I described the occasion to her, "The Word of God is like a lion: you let it out into the room, and it can take care of itself." Thursday afternoon, I spent a couple of hours at Syneva's apartment, just talking. She loves J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, too, so we discussed those. The discussion was earnest, but not argumentative. She also likes Rosemary Sutcliff (yes!!), and, of course, music. At one point, one of the girls who shares her apartment, Amanda, came in and asked us a question about the definition of cruelty, which was the topic of a paper she was working on, so the philosophy added some spice to our conversation.
This week was the last week of Tuesday/Thursday classes. I'll miss Major British Writers and Honors, a little--though they were challenging, they were also very interesting. Honors provoked so many good discussions. On Thursday, Rachel and I could hardly stop talking after class, so deep were we in conversation about love (we finished Honors with Plato's "Symposium), literary criticism (how much can you infer from the order in which Plato placed the speeches in the "Symposium"?), and methods of presenting the Gospel, using Paul's speech on Mars hill as an example of a presentation that both preserves the Gospel intact while connecting with the audience.
Friday night, twelve girls from RUF drove an hour and a half to another city, Syneva's hometown, for the RUF girls' retreat. Syneva's family hosted the retreat. They have an enormous house on seven levels--the house is like a child's lego construction, with funny little rooms thrown out here and there. Syneva's family has a big, fuzzy dog and two cats. They also have a music room containing a grand piano, a synthesizer, an organ, two flutes, a violin, a trumpet, a clarinet, a saxophone, a harp, and a hammered dulcimer. The dulcimer and the harp were both fascinating to me (the flutes were both low-end brands). The dulcimer had a brittle, elaborate, crisp sound, but the harp was goldenly resonant--a sound that, if it were to be made into sight, would look like a lion's mane.
After supper Friday night, we had a Bible study on the topic of romance. *hem* Not my specialty, exactly, but most of the RUF girls think about boys a lot. It was a bit uncomfortable for me. However, we also discussed "self-image" and behavior in a large group, which was slightly more helpful. When our study was over, everyone crowded into the kitchen to eat chocolate cake. I joined the conversation for awhile, chuckling with the gales of laughter as we shared funny stories, but then my scanty five-and-a-half hours of sleep from the night before began to wear thin. While they stood around and laughed, I slipped out and curled up on the sofa with the cats to drowse for a little bit.
We stayed up late watching "Miss Congeniality 2", a very dumb movie about a woman who's an FBI agent and a beauty queen. The plot would've been palatable had not there been some rather objectionable humor (nothing too dreadful, just unpleasant).
After the movie, everyone trailed off to their sleeping places. There were beds or cots/air mattresses for everyone. Syneva, Alisha, and I were to sleep in Syneva's room, Syneva on the floor and Alisha and I in Syneva's double bed. While Alisha (she's a quiet, Elvish sort of girl who plays violin) was out getting ready for bed, Jenny bounced into the room. Jenny flopped down on the bed and I stretched out beside her, while Syneva collapsed onto her mattress on the floor (she, too, was exhausted). Jenny was high-strung and hyper from the late night. Her loud, contagious laughter filled the little room. Jenny H. came in. (Jenny H. is a lithe Japanese girl with slender hands and dark, glossy hair--she reminds me of a kitten.) "Jenny," Syneva moaned to Jenny H. from the floor, "your job is to grab Jenny by the ankle and drag her out of here." So Jenny H., giggling, grabbed Jenny's tanned, muscular ankle and yanked. Jenny just lay still and laughed even louder. Even Syneva smiled at Jenny H.'s ineffectual attempt.
At last both Jennys bounced out of the room, and everything was quiet. But I lay awake for a long while, holding myself stiff for fear of disturbing Alisha, and sniffling uncomfortably from my cold and allergies. Alisha slept deeply--though, I must admit, she did make the weird clicking noises that Violin sometimes makes in her sleep. (Alisha confessed in the morning that she grinds her teeth in her sleep, too, so that her dentist had to make a special mouthpiece for her to keep her teeth from being worn down.) As I lay awake, I could hear Esther and Jenny whispering and giggling in the next room. I could also hear Syneva sighing and shifting restlessly on her pallet.
My mother came for me at noon on Saturday and drove me home. I spent most of the afternoon working on an Honors paper, though I also watched Brother2's basketball team, which his team won--partly thanks to a "sweet" layup that he scored in overtime. My mother, Brother2, and I ate supper with my grandmother at a Chinese restaurant since my father, Brother1, and Daisy were in another city at a basketball tournament for Brother1's and Daisy's teams. When they returned home, we discovered that both teams had taken second place in the tournament.
I was so tired that I nearly fell asleep during family devotions!
I appreciate the lion/Bible analogy, I feel that way sometimes too. I tell people and then trust that the Holy Spirit will work, if I keep pressing the point I think I might get in the way sometimes, not to say I abandon, I'm certainly open to answering questions people have about the Bible. Too many people, most in fact, think it is up to them and their eloquence to "save" people. What a burden to live with! If that is true then if you fail, you have "turned them off" and are responsible for their actions if they do reject!
ReplyDeleteI don't know who Rosemary Sutcliff is so I did a quick search. I see now that you must enjoy her since your blog is titled after one of her books. Strange I'd never heard of her before, is she like Henty in a way?
Definition of cruelty? Is that hard to define? Perhaps for a humanistic world view. I would have loved to have been in on a conversation like that, they're interesting :)
Romance was the subject of the Bible study eh? Hmm, I would have been uncomfortable too.
Is "The plot would've been palatable" a nice way of saying "my time would have been better spent elsewhere"? There are some modern movies I just won't watch because I feel like it's not all that entertaining and afterwards I think "now WHY did I watch that again?"
Oh I know the feeling when you are sleeping in the same room as a friend and you don't want to disturb them! I'm extremely stiff and careful about not turning over too noisily or moving the blankets to loudly and I end up falling asleep long after the other person has. It was like that with my last visit to my family's house, I was sleeping in the top bunk and my brother was in the bottom. Being on the top bunk you're especially careful because any movement might and probably will shake the entire bed! He fell asleep within five minutes and I was awake for at least a half hour after that trying to ease (quietly) into a comfortable position.
My sister makes very strange clicking noises when she is sleeping too, I'm a light sleeper so I'd get up in the night, walk across the hallway, open her door and "gently" awaken her, since my father was trying to get her to stop. She's an extremely sound sleeper and used to not wake up when her alarm had been sounding for five minutes! She's much better now ;)
Interesting to hear about your week, it did sound rather busy, more so than mine I'm sure.
Sutcliff is only like Henty in that they both write historical fiction. In my opinion, Sutcliff's writing style is much, much better than Henty's. However, she doesn't much like Christianity (especially Protestantism), which is distressing not merely from a religious standpoint but also from a historical standpoint since Christianity was very important to the time period she writes about (pre-Roman to early medieval Britain). "The Silver Branch" is the only book in which she deals with Christians in a favorable light, and it's one of her best.
ReplyDeleteActually, cruelty is rather hard to define if you try to think about it, even from a Christian perspective. We came up with several qualifiers that had to be tacked onto the initial definition that "Cruelty is the inflicting of pain on a helpless victim." For instance, inflicting pain on a criminal who deserves it is not cruelty. Giving a baby a shot is not cruelty, either, and neither is parental discipline or telling someone honestly what you think of them in order to prevent heartache later. Neither is hurting someone in self-defense cruelty. So in the definition of cruelty there has to be something about these other actions that might be called cruelty but aren't.
I suppose saying of that movie that the plot would have been palatable is a nice way of saying that my time could've been better spent. I don't mind watching movies at all, but we could've watched something more suitable, or I could've spent the time writing in my journal (which I attempted unsuccessfully), studying, etc.
I think I would have defined cruelty as inflicting pain and also deriving pleasure from that action. A parent giving a shot to a child, or punishing a child, or punishing a criminal does not mean that we get pleasure from it. You do what needs to be done and then it's over with. Prolonging the prodecure could be considered cruelty in some cases, but in those cases I think that the inflictor would be doing it out of pleasure in seeing the person in distress. At least that's what my first thought was.
ReplyDeletewow...those are long comments...wow...I really want to see Miss Congeniality 1, but not 2. what is it with sequals these days?
ReplyDeleteFrodo,
ReplyDeleteNice header...
-A.
Frodo,
ReplyDeleteI love your new header, though I don't understand why it has the verse written in teensy tiny print up by the branch.
What a fun read! I loved your description of the houses. I'm praying for A.C. Knowing what it feels like to "sway with weariness" is a rare privilege-- it only happens after a very intense discussion of some sort. Once it's over, you feel like you didn't resolve anything, and also like you've been asleep in a dream for the past so-many hours.
In my Latin textbook, I don't remember the chapter, Julius tells this complex love story in which Aemilia falls in love with a scornful fellow by the name of Crassus Dives. ("Crassus was a very common name back then," said Mr. Spotts. Perhaps, but in context, I'd say it means something...)
The small text is my fault, I was suggesting something about the banner. And it's yet another reason why FireFox is superior. I'd suggested putting the text size to 0% so as to make the "overlaid" text not be there (basically, the tiny verse wouldn't show at all) yet IE still displays text that is at a 0% height.... hmm... that makes sense.... or maybe not.
ReplyDeleteFirefox displays correctly of course ;) My brother, as a web developer, is always complaining about how when you make perfect code, IE still displays something wrong so you have to go back and change a bunch of things and puzzle over certain problems JUST to make it display correctly in IE. He hates it.