23 April 2013

I just finished Eric Metaxas's new biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. I have to say that from the title (with its all-too-obvious echo of John Le Carre's novel) to the writing style itself, I found the biography to be somewhat long-winded. He lionized Bonhoeffer a lot more than I was prepared to swallow, which reminded me of why I don't usually like reading biographies.

On the other hand, I'm not very familiar with the details of Nazi Germany, so I appreciated being able to read about the battle that the church faced as the Nazis rose to power. Metaxas did a solid job of outlining the theological stakes involved in that struggle. Also, I did very much appreciate some of the direct quotes I found along the way from Bonhoeffer's work.

[On contemplating marriage in the midst of World War II:]



The chief characteristic of such occasions [weddings] essentially rested in the fact that, in the face of the “last” times (I do not mean this to sound quite so apocalyptic), someone dares to take a step of such affirmation of the earth and its future. It was then always very clear to me that a person could take this step as a Christian truly only from within a very strong faith and on the basis of grace. For here in the midst of the final destruction of all things, one desires to build; in the midst of a life lived from hour to hour and from day to day, one desires a future; in the midst of being driven out from the earth, one desires a bit of space; in the midst of widespread misery, one desires some happiness. And the overwhelming thing is that God says yes to this strange longing, that here God consents to our will, whereas it is usually meant to be just the opposite. 


[Bonhoeffer on grieving for the death of a good friend during World War II:]

Where God tears great gaps we should not try to fill them with human words. They should remain open. Our only comfort is the God of the resurrection, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who also was and is his God. In him we know our brothers and in him is the biding fellowship of those who have overcome and those who still await their hour. God be praised for our dead brother and be merciful to us all at our end.


 [On death itself, in a vein reminiscent of C.S. Lewis:]

No one has yet believed in God and the kingdom of God, no one has yet heard about the realm of the resurrected, and not been homesick from that hour, waiting and looking forward joyfully to being released from bodily existence. Whether we are young or old makes no difference.
What are twenty or thirty or fifty years in the sight of God? And which of us knows how near he or she may already be to the goal? That life only really begins when it ends here on earth, that all that is here is only the prologue before the curtain goes up—that is for young and old alike to think about. Why are we so afraid when we think about death? … Death is only dreadful for those who live in dread and fear of it. Death is not wild and terrible, if only we can be still and hold fast to God’s Word. Death is not bitter, if we have not become bitter ourselves. Death is grace, the greatest gift of grace that God gives to people who believe in him. Death is mild, death is sweet and gentle; it beckons to us with heavenly power, if only we realize that it is the gateway to our homeland, the tabernacle of joy, the everlasting kingdom of peace.
How do we know that dying is so dreadful? Who knows whether, in our human fear and anguish we are only shivering and shuddering at the most glorious, heavenly, blessed event in the world?
Death is hell and night and cold, if it is not transformed by our faith. But that is just what is so marvelous, that we can transform death.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I own this book, but have yet to read it!

    ReplyDelete