24 November 2012

Thanksgiving Break: A Brief Photo Essay

I spent many hours this break writing thank you notes, but now they're finally all done! Well, except for the ones to Scott's family members, but since I delegated those to him, I'm just going to buy stamps for them, too, and hope for the best.

Our house looked very festive for Thanksgiving. Mary and Kat came over to share the evening and the feast with us, which was wonderful. Scott roasted a delicious turkey, made stuffing, roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower, and generally did just about all the cooking. Between Mary and Kat, we had the requisite pecan and pumpkin pies, so it was quite a traditional success.

Today I sewed curtains for our kitchen on Jemima, as I've christened her. Somehow she managed to last through three curtains without having been oiled or tuned up since who-knows-when. She's probably about forty or fifty years old, one of those rock-solid Singer sewing machines that never quits. Thanks to Scott for picking her up at the ReStore.

Otherwise, we've spent the afternoon very quietly. One of the complex board games Scott loves has deeply absorbed all his attention. The paper wreath on the wall is the product of a hard afternoon's work on Mary's part; my product of that same afternoon was a paper bird mobile that's hanging above my head in the living room right now.

Monday, last two weeks of class, here we come!

4 comments:

  1. Your house looks so cozy and inviting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't been here in a while. Now I'm back! :) I love seeing the pictures of your house and your life up there in Indiana. Have a good two weeks of classes...I teach for longer than that. Phone date over break?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... and hope for the best."
    So I'm not the only one that has a tendency to do poorly with getting back to people?

    Aunt Jemima!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading blogs today....a little late.I just remembered you asked about where to get oil for Jemima....Have you tried Hobby Lobby or perhaps a quilters' shop? You'll want some very good machine oil that is especially made for sewing machines. Sing makes some, but you don't have to use theirs. You'll want one with a long nozzle. You'll also want some "lubricant" taking care of the gears. It looks a little bit like thick Vaseline. Do you have an instruction manual? If not I can photo copy mine and send it to you, or you can get it when you come in December. I'm so glad you had such success with the curtains! They look brilliant! A great addition to your house!!

    ReplyDelete