12 September 2012

Lovely things today:
             Running in the cool morning, thin fog over Bryan Park, thick blue dew on the grass
             Leftover oatmeal-apple pancakes for breakfast
             Sunshine streaming through the office windows as I worked on W613 poems
             A class of energized, participatory students who did a fantastic job of analyzing an article from The Telegraph on the Fukushima Daiichi disaster
             Running into Heather as I was sitting outside, eating grapes and crackers for lunch and reading The Georgics
            
Running into Mary in the English Dept. after teaching at 2:30; she was in fine fettle, talking in funny voices and flailing
             A long conversation with Professor M about poetry--more or less about poetry, I should say, since he spent quite a bit of it telling anecdotes about his daughter (who's named Marley and who has only eaten organic food all her life)
             Listening to Scott read news articles aloud and comment on them while I made curry for tea (the subject of the news articles wasn't the lovely thing, of course, but rather listening to his analysis of both situations)
             Mary and Laura coming over to share the curry and tell funny stories about students, coworkers, cover designs, the Lilly, hairstyles, etc.
             Attending the first orchestra concert of the season (for us) in Auer Hall with Mary, Laura, and Scott: a performance of Beethoven's 1st Symphony, among other works. I was astounded by how Classical the 1st sounds--it could almost have been written by Mozart. The violinists in particular played with an incredible crisp control, a precise discipline that made the symphony with its carefully-structured ritornelli that much more enjoyable to follow.
             Sitting now with Scott in the living room while he reads The Confusion and Clover chases a fuzzy stuffed mouse around the room (Aria has apparently been asleep under the sofa this whole time, a fact that I didn't notice until something began to wriggle and erupt from the depths)

3 comments:

  1. I think you should share the oatmeal apple pancake recipe... that sounds delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so comfortable! ...missing you and Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheerful day! Just browsed here. Moved by your lovely things. Normal day is unusual. Amazing life attitude. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete