Arched windows. Dark green awnings
hover over tables, coffee, cigarettes,
acids gritty as newspaper. Maple leaves, red
Hearts and Aces, clatter on the sidewalk.
A bus creaks past, large woman
with a walker, eases to a stop,
inhales half-a-dozen students, sighs,
squeals away. Across the city, chimes
punctuate morning. Echoes gossip. Wall
grey as a wool coat reveals windows
reflecting sky like skin, reflecting tree’s
yellow leaves reverberating under sunshine.
Yellow leaves reverberating under
this this this this this this this
light cavorting, trampling, waltzing, flaying
chloroplasts feather-thin. Pigments explode
as beaten tree unfurls choropleth
topography of summer, ridged, dusty.
Light pummels leaves, leaves flock,
annual loneliness twittering slip jig
in nine-eight time, flutter, sneeze.
This flock alighted under Cygnus. Scared
by Orion, it whirls in concentrics, contour
map across skies winging into severity.
Is this the third background I've seen in the past few days? This one is classy but I also liked the birdies.
ReplyDeleteWonderful anthropomorphism here....echos gossip, the bus breathes in...I also like the leaves flocking image with Cygnus and Orion.
Nice work.