29 September 2010

Now Playing: Cherish the Ladies, "Woman of the House", "Sweet Thames Flow Softly."

I'm procrastinating on going to sleep right now, so here's what I did this past weekend. I drove to Nashville and visited Syneva! I could rattle off a list of all the things we did: shopped at a flea market, visited the library, walked around downtown, walked around a lake, went out for Italian food, went to City Church, cooked food, watched a DVD.

Scratch that. Sounds like a to-do list. Try some snapshots instead.

On Friday evening, we drove through a sudden thunderstorm to get frozen yogurt. Oblongs of yellow light through glass doors in the mansions along Belmont Boulevard glowed like the facets of a chandelier. We listened to Brahms's sonata for clarinet and piano, and the sky was green with lightning.

Saturday afternoon we spent hours sifting through trays of tarnished jewelery and crumbling postcards, piles of kitchenware, and old furniture at the flea market. Syneva bought a flour sifter, and I bought a silver ring for three dollars.

That night we had the house to ourselves and made Mexican food. I made tortillas for the first time ever, rolling extremely sticky balls of dough in piles of flour while we talked about North and South and Foyle's War.

Sabbath morning we sat on the front porch, drinking spiced black tea, eating pumpkin bread with dried dates and walnuts, and talking about Shostakovich.

When I drove back to Indiana through Kentucky, the forests were beginning to be veined with warm colors, copper flowing up through the dark green trees. In Indiana all the pumpkin patches and corn mazes were open for business.

Since I came back, it's been work as usual, though the weather has finally cooled off here, and I had to wear a hoodie when I ran this morning.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful visit! Thanks for the snapshots, both verbal and visual. :) It must have really lifted your spirits.

    I'm happy for fall to have arrived in the Midwest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I made tortillas by hand for the first time last week too! :) Much fun. :) You'll have to tell me about your Shostakovich conversation soon...might be applicable to his piece I just finished. :)love you much! :)

    ReplyDelete