Now Playing: Not much.
Top hits from last week:
Finished The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Delightful book. Looking behind the scenes, definitely postmodern, but it's a masterful retelling of Arthurian legend. Humorous but not too irreverent, poignant but not sentimental.
On Monday who should eat lunch at the restaurant where I work but Apollo Ohno! Of all people! Didn't recognize him until he was walking out, at which point I thought, "Hmm, I wonder where I've seen that guy before." Then a very excited customer scurried up to me at the register, agog because they'd gotten him to autograph a napkin.
We now have plants to go in the garden: zinnias, marigolds, bell peppers, banana peppers, basil, thornless blackberry, and something called a pincushion plant, maybe? It has blue flowers, anyway, and is a replacement for the bachelor's buttons that I'd set my heart on, but which apparently don't come as baby plants, only as seeds. It's quite pretty, but the garden will have to dry out some before we can plant anything.
Visited my grandmother on Saturday to talk about mysteries, quilting, and politics.
A possum ran across our back porch yesterday morning, which infuriated the cats, as one would imagine.
And now I've started Aeschylus's Oresteia, as a change of pace...!
Asher introduced me to The Once and Future King- now it's one of my very favorite books! Also, your description of plants is inspiring me... I am excited for spring. Hope you're doing well!
ReplyDeleteThe funny parts of The Once and Future King annoyed me (I guess I'm a Scrooge or something)... I felt like the author couldn't make up his mind if he was writing a drama or comedy and instead of blending them well I just felt jerked around. Overall, though, I like the book and would reread it, perhaps I'd appreciate the humor more now :)
ReplyDeleteWonder what Apollo Ohno was doing in Stillwater! No speed skating there, surely! :)