20 February 2009

Now Playing: Sweet silence.

Cyprus is for this summer, but before I go there, before Alyson comes back to the States, some of us are developing plans to go visit her/Belfast/other places that take our fancy. It's going to be a grand time.

Cliff.... How do I explain Cliff? If I say he was a good friend, I feel as though I am overstating the case for myself. If I say he was just a guy I knew, it's a grand understatement. I met him on the streets in Belfast with Rachel, Daphne, and co. last year. He'd come to the cafe on Tuesday nights and talk with us. We shared the Gospel and prayed with him. He's an older man, but whenever I ran into him on the street he'd kiss my hand and sing me a wee song about Tulsa. He used to work for an airline, so he flew through Tulsa, oddly enough. I don't know what else to say about him. So many people were closer to him than I was, but it still feels very strange to be all the way over here in the midst of this. He was a great performer, so friendly to everyone. He always embarrassed us somehow or other when he came to church, but it was alright. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's not here anymore.

~

So, more quotes from Burroughs:

"A little in this world will content a Christian for his passage, but all the world, and ten thousand times more, will not content a Christian for his portion."

Contentment is gained "not by adding more to [your] condition, but rather by subtracting from [your] desires, so as to make... desires and... condition even and equal."

Psalm 73, "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever". As believers we ought to be able to travel through the world content with very little, while in the end desiring the greatest possession of all, if I may put it that way: God Himself. Accurate but hard to practice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I remember when the mother of the lady that lived across the street from us in Beaufort died. I had really not spent a lot of time with her, but she seemed to have had a lot of impact on me. She died when she was in her home in Maine, and when I found out, I was shaken greatly. It was as if I had lost a best friend who had just been a temporary visitor to the town.

    ReplyDelete