18 February 2009

Now Playing: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers soundtrack by Howard Shore. Track 10, "Treebeard".

I've been reading The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs lately. His illustrations are pretty incredible. I think I shall post some favorite quotes I've found so far.

"So a well-tempered spirit may enquire after things outside in the world, and suffer some ordinary cares and fears to break into the suburbs of the soul, so as to touch lightly upon the thoughts. Yet it will not on any account allow an intrusion into the private room, which should be wholly reserved for Jesus Christ as his inward temple."

What a blessing it would be to be able to live by this rule, to have a "holy of holies" in one's mind and emotions reserved for Christ, a quiet place into which nothing could intrude.

No comments:

Post a Comment