Still working through Burroughs.
“… what he does have he has by right of Jesus Christ, by the purchase of Jesus Christ…. the right that the saints have is a right of purchase: it is paid for, and it is their own, and they may in a holy manner and holy way claim whatever they have need of.” (Ch. 2)
This first one astonishes me now every time I sit down to eat a meal. Jesus Christ bought my oatmeal and tea with His blood...! That could be just a ridiculous juxtaposition of the extremely spiritual with the extremely banal, but perhaps it should more actually be a reminder of how close Christ is to us--willingly, freely, delighting to be so.
“Every little that they have is but as an earnest penny for all the glory that is reserved for them; it is given them by God as the forerunner of those eternal mercies that the Lord intends for them.” (Ch. 3)
I'm reminded again of Psalm 73. I tend to be like an animal, focusing only on the physical, when the physical is only a shadow of the spiritual blessings (and, ultimately, "trans-physical", to steal from C.S. Lewis) stored up in Christ.
Sort of along side that is the comment of Francis Schaeffer on Job, that the physical, tangible are only one half of creation, and that both the tangible and intangible have an impact upon the other. I wonder what impact this post will have on the intangible, followed by this comment... almost worth joking about, but too sobering to do so.
ReplyDelete