Now Playing: Skype conversations with Peter and Sarah/Laura.
The room was so incredibly cold when we woke up this morning that it was hardly even funny. Emmaline woke up to do her devotions and then crawled back to take refuge under her duvet while I sat bundled in a coccoon of jumpers and a blanket at my desk. When we went downstairs to get breakfast, the kitchen was actually warmer than our room, which is strange since it's usually the coldest place in the house.
At ten o'clock I had ENG314, Literature, Art, and Culture of the Anglo-Saxons. We finished discussing Bede's Ecclesiastical History today. It is interesting (wait, no, I'll find another word, Peter)--it is curious how much Bede refers to Biblical sources and how Biblical characters find resonances throughout his stories of saints and kings. Even the story of Caedmon is reminiscent both of the calling of Samuel and of the nativity, where the Word of God was born out of nothing in a stable. Finding Biblical echoes is one of the professor's favorite activities, anyway, so that's what I learned all about today.
After class, as usual, I went running, except that for some strange reason I had bad leg cramps today and had to spend my half-hour on the stationary bike instead of the treadmill, which wasn't nearly as satisfying or challenging. Walking back through the Botanic Gardens was lovely, the sun shining on a cold day. The crocus buds are as big as a child's fists, waxy white and purple.
Back in Renwick, I found Daphne and Catherine on the stairs, getting ready to go out to lunch. There was a rather sickening rancid smell in the stairwell: apparently, the product of another loving gift from the all-male Daphne Fan Club. Someone had put raw meat in her cupboard over the weekend, and it had gone all grey and gross.
They two went out to lunch, and I took a shower, the only time I've been warm all weekend. Then I had lunch myself, PB&J, a little tangerine, and a penguin, with tea, because for some reason you always have to drink tea with penguins.
And now I'm talking with Sarah on Skype, and Laura is talking in the background. My sister certainly hasn't gotten any more serious since I left...! Close-ups of guinea pigs and cats in the video, and of Sarah's mouth being duct-taped. Wow. Whispering to Sarah so that Laura won't hear, even though Laura is thousands of miles away... good fun.
Last week on Valentine's Day someone in the house left little presents on everyone's doors, each present with a Bible verse to go along. I happen to have an inkling as to who the someone was, and they happened to have told me what each person got and why:
Rachel, in Room 1, received a candle, with the verse about letting your light shine before men because of her interest in outreach.
Ian, in Room 2, received a pint glass because he's always disgusted with how small the cups are in Renwick. Matthew got a toy car because he got his driver's license last fall.
Linsey, in Room 3, was given a cup with little people on it that twist around so that they all have different outfits on.
Emmaline got a Tigger mug, and I was given a journal. Now those two gifts I do not understand at all.... *grin*
Phil was given a clock with footballs on it, since obviously football is one of his top pursuits. Andy M. was given a teapot--certain people in the house have remarked on the fact that he always makes his tea in a teapot instead of straight in the cup, the way the rest of us uncivilized folk do.
Deborah and Emma were both given items that had their Disney characters on them: Deborah had a Snow White photo album, and Emma a Cinderella pen.
Andy L., in Room 7, was given a set of egg cups since he eats lots of boiled eggs, and Samuel was given balloons. Whoever decided that one wasn't too bright since water balloons have been known to be dropped from the window of Room 7 on unsuspecting passers-by in the street.
Catherine was given a bear on a keyring, for cuteness' sake, I suppose, and, the funniest of all, some joker decided that Daphne needed a bottle of blond hair dye to help her cure her case of ginger-ness. Why the same person didn't decide to give me the same thing, I'm not sure.
So that was our Valentine's Day excitement.
Well, thank you all for reading.
Sounds like a pleasant time over Valentine's :)
ReplyDeleteThe sun is shining here today as well. The sky is such a gorgeous blue and the air feels clean after the recent rain. I can't imagine any kind of computer screen having a more beautiful color.
Unfortunately.... that's what I'm looking at for the rest of the day. I hope you're doing well and I'm glad you got to talk on Skype to your family and Sarah. Apparently Laura really likes having something of a big sister around again ;)
whats the story of Caedmon?
ReplyDeletethat is so wonderful! I love gifts that go with the person who recieves them! What a special valentine's day! I hope you are doign well, honey.
ReplyDelete