22 April 2006

high time for a "real" post

Now Playing: Focus on the Family Radio Theatre, "The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'" by C.S. Lewis. Track 3, "On Board the 'Dawn Treader'".

Well, I'm sorry that I haven't posted on here in so long. But this week has gone fairly well. Three papers are done, with one to go, due at the end of finals week. Today I'm playing my flute jury (for which I'd appreciate prayer), and after that, there's finals.

Another piece of good news: Esther came back to Tulsa yesterday. She's in the apartment she's been living in this semester with Syneva and one of their other friends, Rachael.

Yesterday was a fairly normal day, but since it's been awhile, I guess I'll just tell you all about what happened then.

Classes are starting to draw to a close. In MBW today, Dr. F brought in two recordings: one of "Beowulf" read in Old English, and one of the same poem read in modern English by Seamus Heaney, an Irishman who recently made a famous translation of "Beowulf". She played excerpts from both readings for us, the Old English first. I shut my eyes and listened in delight to the hard, bright syllables, the sharp, warlike rhythm. I could catch some of the phrases. Then she played "Beowulf" in modern English. Heaney read mellowly, soothing, turning the battle poem into a lullaby. When the excerpts were over, Dr. F asked us what the differences were between the two. She asked, "Would you all like it if I put on the Anglo-Saxon reading for the rest of the class period?" She expected, and got, an enthusiastic "No!" from everyone--except me, of course, who sat and smouldered quietly at the back of the room. "You could fall asleep to Heaney's reading," someone said happily. I wrinkled my nose. I could've listened to the Anglo-Saxon indefinitely: harsh in its loveliness, like sunshine streaking through clouds, clashing on wet grass. I must say that Dr. F always gets the response she wants from the class. She may claim, and the students may boast, that they're thinking for themselves and being truthful and innovative, but they're all sitting smugly on the same bandwagon together.

In archaeology, Dr. O lectured more about the Maya, the last civilization we've studied this semester. Like Dr. F, Dr. O always draws in the most abrasive political criticism--he usually isn't openly angry about it, but he snidely mocks Christianity and Conservatives. Like Dr. F, who harps endlessly on the fact that Heaney, an Irishman, definitively translated the English "Beowulf". Dr. O is always wagging his head about overpopulation and the like, which seems ironic, considering that the population of the world could comfortably fit into the state of Texas! Either their conclusions are warped, or they make an enormous mountain out of a molehill. Both of them also adopt the confident position, "We used to think.... Now we know....", as though modern man is now omniscient. Darwinism at work: progress is assumed. *cough* "I've seen it all in an egg. In Narnia, we call that going bad."

After class, I practiced my flute. As I swabbed out my flute in my room, A.C. knocked on my door. I was pleased and surprised: she moved out of the dorm last week, and I didn't think I'd see her again. The two of us ate lunch with Tara and Alisha. I spent the afternoon working on my Honors paper, typing up a study guide for archaeology, and sleeping. The Honors paper has been enjoyable to write: poking through dusty old books about Anglo-Saxon poetry, reading scraps on their history and looking at glossy pictures of intricate jewelry and crumbling walls. One book I found is a wonderful anthology of the different genres of Anglo-Saxon literature, with a nice, concise history of the people in the front, and photographs of artifacts and architecture sprinkled throughout.

There were very few people in the cafeteria during supper this evening. Most of the other RUFers, including Rachel, went to spend the weekend at a vacation house on Grand Lake. A family in the church that most of the RUFers go to owns the vacation house, and occasionally invites everyone down there for a weekend. After supper, I walked around campus, studied, then went to a performance of a student string quartet in Tyrrell Hall. Syneva was playing cello. They performed Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" string quartet, the quartet in D minor. They played very well: an intense, delightful performance of a very difficult piece of music. Syneva frowned angrily at the low, growly bits, or raised her eyebrows at the plucking, and grinned at the first violinist as each movement began. I heard someone say afterward, "That cellist is crazy!", which made me smile.

After the concert, there was a reception in the hallway outside the performance hall. Mrs. C, Syneva's mother, brought a small chocolate fountain, and fruit to dip in the melted chocolate. One of the other girls brought cookies, and the second violinist's mother, who's Greek, made baklava. I stood and chatted with Mrs. C and Mandi. Mrs. C watched in consternation as people accidentally dribbled melted chocolate in her new white brocade tablecloth. A plump woman served fluffy pink punch, and everyone crowded in the hall and talked. I ate a piece of the baklava--gooey and crunchy, and so honey-sweet as to be almost bitter.

I ran back to my dorm, for the sheer joy of it, and showered, and tried to go to sleep. Of course, the girl who lives next door to me, as usual, had friends over, and they were (also as usual) watching a noisy movie. So it took a long while before I finally drifted off.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Esther is better and that things are winding down to a somewhat bearable state.

    I had to laugh at your description of the bandwagon, all the students chiming in together and "thinking for themselves" because that's how I feel sometimes. Often I'm the only one who doesn't just go with the crowd. And then there's those times when people tell me that I'm not willing to listen to any outside opinion, which I feel is completely opposite of the case (they refuse to consider anything outside of their box) but at least I'll consider their case and then show them why I believe it to be wrong, on their part, they just flat out tell me I'm loony, with no reason given :) Okay, tangent....

    I would have liked to hear that Olde Englishe recording. It does sound very interesting. I did just do a search and found some reading by Ben Slade but I couldn't understand it very well, even with the translation alongside.

    Sorry about all the noisy movies and stuff. Incidentally, after the game thing last night I just got outside and felt ready to take something on, so I let it out by running out to the street where I was parked. Like you said, just for the sheer pleasure of it.

    I also thought your description of Dr O was interesting, sounds a lot like my old Economics professor a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we forgive you. :D

    "Dusty-book" papers are so much fun to write. Papa jokes that I'll check out books just because they're old and fragile. Not always. However, in the library last week, I found a sweet little Latin reader, published in 1914. In the front it had an "Oklahoma A&M" sticker, as well as a "Due October 12, 1940" stamp. The lady at the desk was... amused.

    It sounds like you've been having a great week, too! Syneva's performance must have been beautiful--the "crazy" people always play well. :D

    And about your dorm room... have you considered wearing earplugs? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:10 PM

    warning, I may go of on som odd directions...

    where to start? ok, evolushun. i just herd a bunch of talks abowt this. first, darwinism was not intneded to refut any science, beliefs (including christianity), or other such things. but dont be confused. im not defedning his loony ideas. the scientists of this century hav taken his hypothesis and stated it as plain fact. so much for science. you see, science is this system of discovering what is true, and that includes putting out bad ideas based on the evidence. but if you tried to show evoolution(the big kind, from goo to you) to most any modern "scientist"(why are they even called that any more?), they would very qwuikly shove your facts away and say something like, "oh, its been proved." these people have found something against creationism and clung to it. the government and public arent helping to fix the problem. they have also clung to this idea, and said essentially that "what the scientists say is absolute truth. no doubts." evolution has been proven wrong again and again. but the public system treats it like truth. i mean, if you opened a public school textbook on the beginning of the universe and proceeding forward until now, you would stil find many things that HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG. no kidding, this stuff is wrong.

    That givs me a lead into the public schrool ideas, discussed rather shallowly thhis evening with my parents and siblings(only one out of the five was really listening, ross is gone so he cant). apparently, as both my parents were brought up in public schrool, we are seen by the schoolers in this sort of way.

    Your parents are lunatics, too protective. whadya meann, you dont have a girlfriend? your crazy too! oh, your homeschooled. wow(the people who know that we're normally ahead are in awe).

    the following is a disclaimer:excuse me, im just paraphrasing. please pardon the od speling, its something f.b. and i do intentionaly. quite fun. also, i dont think that was a very organized rambling. f.b., this was all inspird by your wonderful coments about the system, evolution, oh and shadow's complaints about his team(i dont blame you for that).

    oh. gotto get off now. cya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:11 PM

    i just had to say that to somebody. the whole world counts, i geus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Spectre! Your comments are beginning to look like mine as far as length! I have a horrible tendency to ramble. I did like your little talk. Recently a person posted a comic strip down by the Physics department about how Evolution is obviously the only way to go and Christianity (or creationism) is like trying to teach alchemy, or astrology. It's just stupid! was their contention.

    Then someone else comes along and makes this little comment on the side (in pencil) "and someone thought this was funny?" meaning that yeah, it's true but it's sad that anyone could possibly believe anything other than evolution. It made me slightly..... disturbed. So took out the bookmark I had and wrote a long explanation/argument why Christianity did indeed explain origins much more satisfactorily than evolution could and pointed out several errors that evolution has and how people don't seem to realize that it is merely a theory and has not been proven. Fossil evidence of "evolved species" is found in EXACTLY the same spot as fossils of fish or birds that are just like they are today. But they thrust those aside and look at these other ones. If the layers of strata are how they say they are, those fish must have dug down before they died and were fossilized, OR (gasp) possibly these new fossils aren't evolved but are just extinct species!

    Anyway, this note that I posted with my side of the arument logically laid out.... someone just came along and penned a couple of letters that stand for a swear word over the top of it. There was not even an attempt to repudiate my logic, they just said "bah, he's stupid" with no reason given. I just shrug my shoulders and move on. It stayed down there on the board next to the comic for over a month so hopefully some other people read it.

    It's been my peeve for a while that Science should be looking at the facts and formulating theories to explain those facts based on what they have. Not look at certain facts and make up other ones and try to prove their THEORY by looking for other stuff.

    Recently I read an article about a link that proves that fish evolved into land animals (which is why we have land creatures apparently). They decided that if fish DID evolve into land animals, they would probably have done it in shallow water because then they would have to get used to both air and water and eventually would crawl up on land and leave the water altogether. So they went to some island that had some shallow water pools near the shore and amazingly they found some fossils that looked like a crocodile with fins and now they've proved evolution! First of all, it does sound highly suspicious to me to find fossils in exactly the spot you decided they must be, they aren't extremely common you know.
    Second, they went looking in shallow water near the ocean. If these fossils and evolutionary links are many millions of years old (or possibly a billion) then don't you think the rocks around that "shallow water" would have eroded just a tiny bit? I mean, I would expect the island to have been much larger way back then so now the shallow water that was then, is far out into the ocean and pretty deep underwater!

    But these poor "sheeple" just nod their heads and agree to everything that is told them. Ah! They say. The power of evolution to predict where fossils should be! Isn't it amazing that we've discovered the secrets of the universe! We've proved that there is no God and that everything just happened to evolve like it is (never mind the law entropy, we'll forget that for the moment) and therefore it must have started as chemicals in a pond with an electric current which itself all came billions of years ago from a very large explosion. Where the explosion and matter itself came from we don't care to think about.

    It's a thing that bugs me too Spectre, something that bothers me indeed. I see comics, newpaper articles, etc. on the outside of teacher's doors that uphold this theory of evolution as fact and mock Christianity and the belief in a God. Why? They'd say because they are obviously wiser and more scientific and know better than us poor dumb people. They know it is true because they feel it's true, or at least they don't want to feel that there is a God so they cling to whatever else presents itself.

    The sad thing though is, that many, MANY so-called Christians have fallen for it. On the discussion for the same article, when people are bashing Christians as that group of dumb people that wouldn't believe "science" (I thought skeptics were the best scientists because they didn't accept what everybody told them, like Copernicus didn't believe the sun moved around the earth) and how dumb they are before the "mighty facts of evolution." Then some people who claimed to be Christians came on and tried to justify themselves by saying "Oh no! We Christians believe in evolution too, we think that God started evolution off and the Genesis account is just something of a pictorial representation of that." I was really taken aback by that though I've seen it before. They are doing far more harm than any evolutionist is doing when they speak on a topic such as that. They are basically denying that God has the power to create, all because they want to appear smart and to fit in and not be mocked by the world. They have been led astray by their own weakness and stupidity.

    I am perfectly willing to evaluate the facts, to look at evidence and then make a decision, that decision of course would be influenced by the only standard men can live by: The Bible. But my "opponents" or peers say that I'm close-minded, while they in turn will not believe anything other than evolution because they think for some reason that it MUST be true! Or they dont' want to think of a world where it isn't true because then (another gasp) they might be accountable to a God. So rather than face that thought, they hide under the blankets of evolution and cry out "go away God, you can't get me!" just like a child will run to his or her bed and pull the covers over their head and say "now that bad man with the knife can't touch me." Before. Hiding from God doesn't prove that there is no God, and that someday you will be judged. How I want to reach out to these people sometimes but like the dwarves in The Last Battle, they have blinded their own eyes and rather than partaking of the feast set before them, claim that it's all rubbish and rotten in this world. Rather than see light, they close their eyes so that they will wallow in darkness, they would rather stumble than walk clearly, for men hate the light and walk in darkness. (John 3:19,20)

    Obviously this has been something written for Christians. Just another rambling post I guess(see, that's how you write 'em Spectre ;) ). It's something that has bothered me for a while and I've commented on frequently in other places. It boggles the mind. Anyway, I should probably repost this on my blog for filler material!
    Uh. Sorry about that again F.B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:03 PM

    its like i said. goo to you.

    oh, sory abouwt that shadow. it wasnt intentional. besides, i dont think that i could write coments that long unless i hav lots to say, which doesnt happen often. i dont ramble very well:)

    kwsoxeh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I personally enjoyed the comment. And as far as rambling, yes, I do that very well :)

    ReplyDelete