24 January 2006

"Gone paper-writing"

Now Playing: "The Phantom of the Opera" soundtrack by Andrew Lloyd-Weber. Track One, "Prologue".

I have a paper due next Wednesday for Honors class, and I haven't had much chance to work on it. There are enough things going on that I often can't get any work done either in the evenings or the afternoons, which is rather discouraging. So I probably will be using just about every spare moment to work on it--and that means I most likely won't post on here either until the weekend or until it's been turned in. Though I can say that when I do post on here (or the other blog), I have some interesting questions and debates to record for ya'lls' reading pleasure. *grins*

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Frodo,

    Hope your paper writing is successful.

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much the same way too, but it's nearly the only point of communication for my parents to know what is going on so it's good for me to stay in the habit. Now if only I could figure out some way not to write so much...... :D

    I've been wondering about that. I would have assumed that the contraction for "you all" would have been "y'all" and I've seen it that way before, but then many other people say "ya'll." Of course it doesn't make much of a difference in pronunciation but wow, the entire outcome of my life depends upon where the apostraphe is properly placed! I suppose it's not that important to all y'alls though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and ditto the first comment. Hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Shadow,

    It should be "y'all" because we're using the contraction of "you all". I hope that gives you a favorable outcome for your life! By the way, y'all is already plural so there's no need to put an s after it for the plural form. However, if you want to make it possessive, it would need an 's at the end of it: y'all's. Gus, wouldn't you agree with this?

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew that "y'all" was already plural, that's why I slaughtered it with "all y'alls" (what, is that like a triple plural?) and I actually HAVE heard people say that down near where my parents live. I could hardly believe my ears! By the way, that's also a Homestar quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:36 AM

    Shadow,

    I guess the all y'alls is just to make sure everyone is included!:-)

    By the way did you do the Google search on Olin Fearing, KU Basketball? Look especially at 1917, 1918, and 1920.

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:02 AM

    STupendous Man: On the extended version of the soundtrack, it's "Prologue"--that's the version I was listening to. It has the whole music from the start where you see the black-and-white opening to the part where Carlotta starts to sing from "Hannibal".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arwen:
    Yes, I did look up Olin Fearing last time but I couldn't find much information on him. Basically a name and what years he played. Am I supposed to be able to find more?

    All I know is Olin Fearing played for KU in the 1918-1919 and 1919-1920 seasons. He played under Head Coach W.O. Hamilton in the first season and the team had a record of 7-9 that season. Fearing was a forward and had varsity letters.
    A "Redshirt" in 1919, this was the year he was a senior so presumably he graduated in 1920. This year he played under Dr. Allen and scored third in the Big Twelve. This was the first year that a team led by Dr Allen had not won the championship.
    In the Missouri Valley Conference in 1920, Fearing scored 10 points and his hometown was Mankato, KS.

    What else am I supposed to know? Because there really doesn't seem to be much on him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:09 PM

    Shadow,

    You might like to know this Olin Fearing is the great-grandfather of Frodo, Gandalf, and Stupendous Man. There are 3 other Olin Fearings, all directly related to each other. Maybe this explains some of the interest in Basketball.

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I figured that Olin Fearing was Gus' father or your grandfather (because of the time). I did find some Olin Fearings that were doctors, are they the ones that you refer to?
    Middle far left is one Shadow's Great-Grandfather:
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~txnavarr/schools/buffalo_school/buffalo_school_1916.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack, that's too long (though you can get it if you highlight for a while after the border). Try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/d33w8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Shadow,

    The names of the kids in that picture are wonderful! It seems people had great imaginations for names back then. That is one great picture:-)Thanks for sharing it.

    Olin Kirk is my brother; Olin Ross is my nephew whom you've met; Olin Stafford was my father. He wrote a paper on the chromosome number of legumes.

    The Olin who played KU basketball was Olin Kyrl. Now how's that for an interesting name:-) He also announced for the KU basketball team on radio for a while. After he graduated from KU he went to train to fly airplanes for the army, but then WW l was over before he finished his training.

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I very, very seldom log into IM any more (MSN, AIM, Yahoo Messenger) because I usually get swamped with people wanting to tell me "hi! Haven't seen you in a while! So what's up?" in less legible grammar than that. My screen names are rather widely known in the gaming community I'm afraid...
    Besides that, using a blog as a message board is more fun. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you wot? Or something like that....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shadow:

    You have a grand-relative by the name of Ovid???

    How *hem* interesting. But considering that a Certain Father's middle name is Virgil, we have no reason to be surprised... :o)

    Happy paper writing, Frodo. Come back with lots and lots of good stories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since there doesn't seem to be an end to the little conversation going back and forth.... I'll just keep it going :D I think this is the highest I've seen a comment count though, especially for so short a post! How many comments were actually on topic I wonder?

    Yes, my Great-Grandfather (whom I liked very much when I was younger and who passed away about 12 years ago) was named Ovid. Ovid Ore West actually. He was known as "Double O" and was not the type of guy you wanted to get on the wrong side with! He was very proud of his reputation as "the straight shooter" because he always told it like it was, without variation. There was a story about him (published in a book of memories about Mo Ranch where he was manager for many years in Texas) where a young man was late to work, he woke up and hoped he could sneak in but here came Double O and spotted him. "What's your name boy?" He asked.
    "John, sir." Was the nervous reply.
    "Naw, not today son. Today, your name is mud."

    He definitely didn't tolerate any sass. In later years he mellowed out quite a bit apparently, but he was still the straight shooter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Shadow,

    I know where Mo Ranch is! I've been there and spent a few nights there. I went on a hike to see a very interesting rock formation that looked like a tower. The mesas are really pretty and there's an irrigated valley with lots of pretty little trees. That is so interesting that Ovid West was the manager there!

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  17. 19? I'm sure you don't need mine then!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah! Because then we'd have 20! Or er... 21 now.

    Yes, my great-grandfather and grandmother worked at Mo Ranch for a while, I don't remember the exact years but apparently they did quite a bit while there. My mom dad, and myself visited it when I was a baby (if I remember correctly), however, I don't remember the actual event. They probably did this in the 50's/60's

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:03 PM

    Good grief, guys! Twenty-two comments on here does seem rather excessive. From now on, I'm just posting three-sentence entries: the comments on the long entries aren't half as interesting to read (or as numerous). *grins*

    No, I don't mind it. It's fun, actually: you all do all the work, and I just sit back and read my own blog. Don't have to post anything. You just keep commenting away, and I'll moderate as though I'm the head honcho of one of those forum-thingys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Frodo,

    Would you please post something else for us to comment on now? Your input betond a little not now and then is appreciated!!!!

    -Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  21. And I like being the odd one out so... here's an even.... (odd actually) 25.

    And there is really no other point here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous3:31 PM

    wow this is a long conversation...maybe y'all should join our forums. we might be able to get our post count over 1000 that way

    ReplyDelete